As the cold weather comes in and children return to school the inevitable runny nose begins, but does it have to be inevitable?
Can we help support our children’s immune system to fight off the myriad of sneezes and coughs this winter?
In this article I will explore some of the ways of supporting your family through the changing seasons
The first thing that we can all do to boost our immune system is to look at strengthening our gut. Your gut is the bodies first line of defense against anything that enters it. But if we are not supporting it then it can’t do its job properly.
Easy ways to increase gut bacteria (and ultimately boost immunity)
- take probiotics or probiotic foods on a regular basis such as water kefir, miso soup, kombucha and sauerkraut (make sure if you buy this that it is raw and unpasteurised). Here are some links to help you further –
- sauerkraut; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfeOH4p_wwM
- kefir; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6tANkCcDl8
- reduce your refined sugar intake as this has a detrimental effect on the immune system and the health of the gut
- eat foods that help reduce bad bacteria such as raw garlic (which is also an amazing natural antibiotic) and basil
Other ways to boost your Immune System
- eat a rainbow of food so we can get a wide range of nutrients and antioxidants (why not make a smoothie for your family this way you can get a whole range of nutrients in that you normally wouldn’t be able to eat)
- make a immune boosting syrup using elderberries, blackberries and rose hips (elderberry syrup; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkrtzmuEv4 or herbal cough medicine; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fko8IpLE9Eg
- increase your Vitamin C intake naturally through the consumption of acerola cherries, rose hips and blackberries
- add medicinal mushrooms to you and your families diets- these are immune modulators which help your immune system know when to turn on and off, a very powerful medicine. Some medicinal mushrooms are chaga, reishi, shitake, turkey tails, lions mane, to name just a few (I like making a reishi tea or using a mushroom powder in smoothies and ice lollies)
To learn more about the immune system I have a course on it this coming thursday 1st Oct 10am-12 in Ridgewell, Essex CO9 4SJ and I also offer private sessions if you would like to create a diet plan for you and your family to support you through the winter.